Thanks for your interest in Masten’s Internship Program for Summer 2017! You can also apply for upcoming intern selections.
- Resumes and applications due by March 17th
- Selected candidates will be contacted for interviews
- Flexible Start and End Date – Usually May-August
Who are we?
Masten Space Systems is a Mojave, CA based Aerospace company. We specialize in reusable vehicles that lower the cost to space. Check out the rest of our website (masten.aero) and YouTube channel for more information.
Who can apply?
Undergraduates, graduates, and post graduates.
If I’ve applied to an internship before does that count?
No, you will need to resubmit your application.
What will I be doing?
This can vary, but in general your primary job will be working with the vehicles, servicing and doing ground crew for testing operations. After this, most likely you will be presented with an array of projects that you can choose to work on based upon your particular interest. Occasionally needs at the time will dictate a high priority project for you to work on as well. These projects will rely on both your engineering understanding along with hands on experience, best judgement, and hard work.
What attributes/skills/experience level do I need?
- Able to work in small groups or solo with little supervision
- Team oriented
- Self starter
- Not afraid to ask questions
- Perform in high stress environments/situations
Skills and Experience (this list is set out as examples, it is neither exhaustive nor is a candidate required to have all items on it)
- Hands on with hand and power tools
- Machine shop competence
- Coding – python, MATLAB, C, or C++
- Electrical and electronic systems
- Testing, test site setup and operation
- Data analysis
- Amateur rocketry
Do I have to be an Aerospace Engineer?
Not at all. We have had many different types of engineers, and occasionally outstanding non-engineers, be selected.
What do I need to apply?
- Filename format: Lastname_Firstname.pdf
- Pages should be, in order in a single PDF file
- 1 page cover letter
- 1-2 page resume
- 1-5 page portfolio
Do I need a portfolio?
Short answer – Yes. You can apply without one but applicants with a portfolio stand out in comparison to those that don’t have one.
Ok, what needs to be in my portfolio?
Your portfolio should contain:
- Projects that you are proud of, whether school or personal
- Pictures of said projects
- A short blurb about the project, why you are proud of it, etc
- If a group project, include a second blurb about YOUR contribution to the project, responsibilities, etc