Masten Space Systems is a Mojave, California based rocket company that builds reliable and reusable rocket powered vehicles.
We are seeking an experienced Mechanical Design Engineer to support the development of primary and secondary mechanical structures, aerosurfaces and control systems for our launch vehicles and lunar landers. You will also work on time critical hardware designs and will be familiar with composite and metallic structure design, manufacturing and testing.
As a member of the Masten Team, you will collaborate with small teams of technicians, engineers, designers and managers on our XS-1 launch demonstrator, our terrestrial EDL test beds and our XL-1 lunar lander.
- Only minimum travel is required
- Work in an integrated collaborative multi-disciplinary team environment
- A hands-on position assisting in the fabrication of your design
- Design structural elements and configurations in concert with other engineering disciplines
- Failure analysis of components as it relates to thermal, loads, vibration and shock
- Assist in the development of ground launch and recovery infrastructure
- Interface with machine shops and build teams to ensure final designs can be produced in accordance with overall project goals
- Size control surface actuators
- Launch and mission operations support
- Experience designing mass efficient parts and structures
- Proficiency using CAD drafting standards such as Global Drawing Requirements or MIL-STD-100
- Familiarity with Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing
- Handling CAD and drawing CM processes through release
- Formulating engineering calculations using Excel, MathCad, Matlab and etc.
- Experience with NASA Design Specifications Engineering and Standards
- Launch vehicle and spacecraft experience
- Experience with electromechanical & electrohydraulic actuators
- Experience with mechatronics
- Bachelors or Advance Degree in Engineering
- Strong work ethic and a self-starter
- Familiarity with the design of welded and machined parts
- Working knowledge of thermal and structural FEA studies.
- 5+ years of relevant and related experience
- Experience with CAD design software such as Siemens NX, CATIA, or SolidWorks