Masten Space Systems is a Mojave, California based rocket company that builds reliable and reusable rocket powered vehicles.
We are seeking an experienced Structures Design Engineer to support the development of primary and secondary mechanical structures, aerosurfaces and control systems for our launch vehicles and lunar landers. You will also work on time critical hardware designs and will be familiar with composite and metallic structure design, manufacturing and testing.
As a member of the Masten Team, you will collaborate with small teams of technicians, engineers, designers and managers on our XS-1 launch demonstrator, our terrestrial EDL test beds and our XL-1 lunar lander.
- Only minimum travel is required
- Work in an integrated collaborative multi-disciplinary team environment
- A hands-on position assisting in the fabrication of your design
- Develop detailed fabrication and assembly drawings
- Static test analysis and test correlation
- Fiber reinforced polymer composite materials
- Structures for atmospheric test vehicles, spacecraft, or launch vehicles
- Laminate optimization
- Dynamic loads analysis
- Development and application of spacecraft and aircraft loads and environments
- Progressive failure analysis and damage tolerance
- NASA and/or FAA structural design standards
- Experience with NASA Design Specifications Engineering and Standards
- Composite design experience or related training courses
- Proficiency using CAD drafting standards such as Global Drawing Requirements or MIL-STD-100, etc.
- Familiarity using PDM system for active CAD data management
- Familiarity with Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (ASME Y14.5M-1994)
- Handling CAD and drawing CM processes through release
- Formulating engineering calculations using Excel, MathCad, Matlab and etc.
- Launch vehicle experience
- Bachelors or Advance Degree in Engineering
- Strong work ethic and a self-starter
- Familiarity with the design of welded and machined parts
- Working knowledge of thermal and structural FEA studies.
- 5+ years of relevant and related experience
- Experience with CAD design software such as Siemens NX, CATIA, or SolidWorks